Many people are passionate about their collections, but if left unchecked, it can spiral into a collection of clutter. Here are some tips to help manage your collections.
1. Collect only the things you love. Make sure you are truly passionate about what you collect.
2. Ground a collection on a common theme. The theme can be color, material or subject matter. Your items will look like they belong together and make a stronger impact.
3. Don't buy something just because it fits in your collection. Buy it because you love it and it because it enhances your collection.
4. Know when to stop. Sometimes, a collection is complete once it looks great in your space. Two is a pair. Three is a collection. You don't want too much of a good thing.
5. Trade up. If you are a serious collector, trade or sell some of your pieces for more important pieces. It's perfectly acceptable to start small and then trade up when your budget allows. Quality trumps quantity.
6. Rotate your collections. If you're short on display space, rotate your collections. You'll gain a new appreciation for your collection every time you bring it out.